Saturday, February 20, 2021

Adventures of a Romance Author: Rockstars, Love Triangles, and Unexpected Kisses

Hello, my lovely readers! Well, I'm doing it. I'm opening a can of worms. Apparently, I once made the decision to "pants" an entire series. Times 3. Let's spill the tea, shall we?

First up is the "Blood Orange" series(no pictured), a rockstar romance series with dark secrets, and deep hope and dreams. I do not have any outlines for any of the stories in this universe, I just have the basic thought/idea of them. Each Blood Orange is inspired by a song and the working titles are the same titles. The band, "Blood Orange", is repped by the fictitious recording label, Rock Winter Records. Now you know where the name for my publishing imprint originated.

I know I have 30-5% of the first book written. But I got stuck and now I understand why. So I hope to go back and outline the book with what I already have. I know a lot of the story follows second chances and parents who give their daughter what they think is best, but they go about it all wrong. I know I meant for it to have a bittersweet tone and I warned readers they would need a box of tissues.

Among my rockstar notes are all the bands repped by RWR. There is also mention of a single artist in one of my RomCom stories, but I won't get into that just yet. There are five (5) bands. They have cool names, I have all the band members named and profiled. I'll happily share a post dedicated to those bands, but for right now, let me share with you the first book of mine to have something of a love-triangle.

While I love a good love triangle, I have never thought I would be good at writing one. Until I gave it a try. The book is in need of a lotta cleaning up and big-picture edits, but I go back to that book and read it sometimes. And I do like the story. I'm just disappointed with some of the storyline. Because, like the rockstar romances ... I pants the crap outta this story. Said story is titled "Making Memories" and was actually an extended, rewritten version of a 500-word story I wrote for a Wattpad contest. I got many new readers because of it and I thought riding the train would help me further along. It did, but it also did not go the way I thought it would. I suppose I am disappointed in the book. I was so confident. I was so confident in that book. I thought it was the bomb.

At this point, I have touched all the topics in my post title, with one exception. Or is it an exception? Because the 500-word story I submitted (and didn't get recognized) was titled "Unexpected Kiss". Do you see where I'm going with this? If not, no worries! I was planning to tell you anyway!

Unexpected Kisses was the "series" title I gave to the books following "Making Memories". Because the characters crossover and actually, one of the characters from this first book is the lead character in the second book. And I apparently had a third "short story" book that follows the second main character(a young woman), but in a storyline prior to her meeting the male MC. (I am reading my single notes as I write this post.) This is actually one of the series still in need of rebranding. The only reason I haven't done so already if I haven't gotten to it before this post goes live is that I am trying to brand them differently from the other covers I have, but still keeping them within the new brand I've given myself. Because books following a similar/the same series should all have covers that go together, even though they are, technically, different stories. I hope that makes sense. 

Well, that is all for this post. I hope you found it entertaining, or perhaps it was informative and a great look into my writing life.

Have you read my "Making Memories" book? If you haven't, click here: https://www.wattpad.com/story/148457307-making-memories

Any comments you have, I am very open to them. I wish you a fantastic rest of your day. Stay safe, stay awesome. See you in the funny papers!

No comments:

Post a Comment