Friday, February 12, 2021

Adventures of a Romance Author: Rewriting My First Full-Length Novel

Hello, lovely readers
! Yes, you have read that title correctly. I am rewriting my first full-length novel. No, it was not my "first story". That one will never see the light of day again. No, this is the first novel I wrote. As in, it was above 30,000 words. I believe the total was just under 45k, but much to my sad realization, this book is missing a full three chapters. As it happens, this chunk of missing content was the climax of my book and I am very disappointed to say that I will never recover those words. This is why I am choosing to rewrite the story.
What book/story am I referring to? This book had four titles, of which only three (3) were known to the public. The most commonly known title was "How I Found Him".
I do not have the original cover art. I wish I did. I remember it was quite simple and it fit the sweet YA romance inside. But what did not fit was the fact 75% of the story takes place at a cattle ranch. Yeah, I wrote a bit of a cowboy romance what I was 16-years-old. Would you have guessed? Probably, since I have written many different themes in fiction at this point.
I do hope to have a new title for the book. I am thinking it will be something cute and very YA. Not the original title. Rewriting this book, to me, means a complete face-lift. I'm talking about character name changes, scene cuts, chapter overhauls. The whole shebang. It's a good story, it's just a fixer-upper. But I do not think that it is terrible. I believe the book is salvageable, I would not think to rewrite the book at all. It was one of my favorites when I wrote it.
 I had more to say about this, but I am drawing a blank. So I am going to end this post here. Thank you so much for joining me. Stay safe, stay awesome. See you in the funny papers!

No comments:

Post a Comment